Recipe for Revival (II Chronicles 7:14)
II Chronicles 7:14, If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Whenever you see the number 40 in the Bible, it indicates there is a period of probation, a period of testing, or a period of trials. This verse contains 40 words. The number 40 is scattered throughout the Old and New Testaments. Samuel, Solomon, and David each had a 40 year reign. Moses spent 40 years in Egypt, 40 years in Midian, and 40 years in the wilderness. Jacob waited until he was 40 years old before he took a bride. Jonah went to Nineveh and gave the Ninevites a 40-day probation period to repent of their sins. Ezekiel laid on his right side 40 days as protest against Judah. Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness and afterward He was tempted by the devil. He died, rose, and spent another 40 days on planet Earth before He caught the cloud to go back home.
The recipe for godly blessing is here pronounced. The focus is of God’s people, specifically Israel. However, the principles surely apply by extension to any people or church of this age.
Seven elements are noted.
1. The verse begins with If; that is possibility.
2. My people; that is personal. God’s people are children of God.
3. Which are called by my name; that's paternal.
4. Shall humble themselves; that's preparation. This is where solving our problems begins. Pride causes so much trouble. Pride will keep one from confessing his sins and will cause them to spend an eternity in hell.
5. Pray; that's power. When trouble comes, the best thing to do is pray. Many go to the bottle and get drunk or to the needle and get high on drugs. Such action only makes their troubles worse, but prayer is a different story.
6. Seek my face; that's a privilege. Seek God’s face. Not many are seeking God today. You can tell this by what they choose to do on Sunday rather than attending church. Few are interested in God and do not seek Him through His Word or prayer.
7. Turn from their wicked ways; that's progress. Turning from our wicked ways does not mean to legalize evil by making laws to allow evil conduct to exist without justice in society. It does not mean to excuse our sins because everyone else is doing it. Nor does it mean to belittle the seriousness of evil. Forsaking our sin means to stop doing evil. All the confessing in the world will not do any good if you do not stop your evil conduct.
When these are met, then God promised to …
8. Then will I hear from heaven; that's procedure. God would hear their prayer,
9. Forgive their sins; that's pardon. Our greatest need is Divine forgiveness.
If you want to be a candidate for revival, then this is the invitation. You can experience true revival and true power in your church.
PRAYER: Father, I know revival is real and it is possible. If there is ever a time I have needed to repent that time is now. You would rather pardon than judge, therefore, I set my heart to seek You, forgive me, have mercy on me. In Jesus name, Amen!
If this post in any way, has blessed you,
please share this website and its articles with others:
Dr. Blackman is passionate about helping others grow in the grace of the Lord. His devotions are centered on how to grow closer to the Lord through a personal relationship.